Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Glenurquhart High School Staff
EXTERNAL ID
PC_GLENURQUHART_JANBELL_001
PLACENAME
Glenurquhart
DISTRICT
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Urquhart and Glenmoriston
PERIOD
1930s
SOURCE
Glenurquhart Heritage Group
ASSET ID
22714
KEYWORDS
education
Fraser
Drumnadrochit
Culanloan
Georgian
Edwardian
inter-war
Glenurquhart High School Staff

Glenurquhart Secondary High School was an important centre of education for Drumnadrochit and the surrounding areas. The core teaching staff in the 1930s are shown in this photograph.

In the background is the High School at Culanloan which was built in 1877. It was the focus of secondary education in the region until the Millennium, in 2000, when a new school was created at Pitkerrald Road.

The High School accommodated children from throughout Glenurquhart. At the beginning of the 20th Century the improvements in transport and infrastructure meant that education became more centralised. The economy also changed from being primarily agricultural towards becoming urbanised and industrialised. This created substantial growth in industries such as manufacturing, catering, banking and trade. These factors meant that the population of Drumnadrochit increased whilst the surrounding farming communities decreased and subsequently the High School took in pupils from as far away as Corrimony.

A centralised outlet for Secondary Education meant that a wider range of teachers could be employed and subsequently that a wider curriculum was possible.

The Headmaster at the time of the photograph, Hugh Fraser, is fourth from the right. The school was under his charge from 1922 to 1943 and he was nicknamed 'the Brock' (a Scots word for 'badger'). The man on his right is Alasdair MacKell, who wrote a book called The Glenurquhart Story, which is a valuable and concise history of the area.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Glenurquhart High School Staff

INVERNESS: Urquhart and Glenmoriston

1930s

education; Fraser; Drumnadrochit; Culanloan; Georgian; Edwardian; inter-war

Glenurquhart Heritage Group

Glenurquhart Heritage Group (photographs)

Glenurquhart Secondary High School was an important centre of education for Drumnadrochit and the surrounding areas. The core teaching staff in the 1930s are shown in this photograph. <br /> <br /> In the background is the High School at Culanloan which was built in 1877. It was the focus of secondary education in the region until the Millennium, in 2000, when a new school was created at Pitkerrald Road. <br /> <br /> The High School accommodated children from throughout Glenurquhart. At the beginning of the 20th Century the improvements in transport and infrastructure meant that education became more centralised. The economy also changed from being primarily agricultural towards becoming urbanised and industrialised. This created substantial growth in industries such as manufacturing, catering, banking and trade. These factors meant that the population of Drumnadrochit increased whilst the surrounding farming communities decreased and subsequently the High School took in pupils from as far away as Corrimony.<br /> <br /> A centralised outlet for Secondary Education meant that a wider range of teachers could be employed and subsequently that a wider curriculum was possible.<br /> <br /> The Headmaster at the time of the photograph, Hugh Fraser, is fourth from the right. The school was under his charge from 1922 to 1943 and he was nicknamed 'the Brock' (a Scots word for 'badger'). The man on his right is Alasdair MacKell, who wrote a book called The Glenurquhart Story, which is a valuable and concise history of the area.