Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
'Camera Studies' Photograph Album - The Fifth Green at Grantown
EXTERNAL ID
PC_GM2_ALBUM1_011
PLACENAME
Grantown on Spey
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
MORAYSHIRE: Cromdale, Inverallan and Advie
PERIOD
1900s
SOURCE
Grantown Museum
ASSET ID
22758
KEYWORDS
sport
leisure
dress
fashion
'Camera Studies' Photograph Album - The Fifth Green at Grantown

A number of men and women, photographed on the 5th green at Grantown. Grantown Golf Club was formed in 1890. The course extended initially to nine holes, and was expanded to an eighteen-hole course in 1911.

The image comes from an album of holiday photographs entitled 'Camera Studies'. It contains 11 photos, all but one of which was taken in and around the Grantown on Spey area. Most of the photographs date from 1904.

From the 1860s onwards, the area around Grantown on Spey became an increasingly popular tourist destination. This growth in tourism was due in large part to the arrival of the railway to Grantown in 1863, which enabled far greater numbers of tourists to visit. Queen Victoria and Prince Albert's purchase of Balmoral in the 1840s had already done much to boost the appeal of the Highlands to the British public. Indeed, in September 1860 Victoria and Albert visited Grantown itself, staying overnight in the Grant Arms Hotel.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Grantown Museum

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

'Camera Studies' Photograph Album - The Fifth Green at Grantown

MORAYSHIRE: Cromdale, Inverallan and Advie

1900s

sport; leisure; dress; fashion

Grantown Museum

Grantown Museum Photographic Collection

A number of men and women, photographed on the 5th green at Grantown. Grantown Golf Club was formed in 1890. The course extended initially to nine holes, and was expanded to an eighteen-hole course in 1911.<br /> <br /> The image comes from an album of holiday photographs entitled 'Camera Studies'. It contains 11 photos, all but one of which was taken in and around the Grantown on Spey area. Most of the photographs date from 1904.<br /> <br /> From the 1860s onwards, the area around Grantown on Spey became an increasingly popular tourist destination. This growth in tourism was due in large part to the arrival of the railway to Grantown in 1863, which enabled far greater numbers of tourists to visit. Queen Victoria and Prince Albert's purchase of Balmoral in the 1840s had already done much to boost the appeal of the Highlands to the British public. Indeed, in September 1860 Victoria and Albert visited Grantown itself, staying overnight in the Grant Arms Hotel. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: gosmuseum@btconnect.com">Grantown Museum</a>