Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Castle Grant Staff
EXTERNAL ID
PC_GM2_PHOTOGRAPHS_001
PLACENAME
Grantown on Spey
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
MORAYSHIRE: Cromdale, Inverallan and Advie
PERIOD
1920s; 1930s
SOURCE
Grantown Museum
ASSET ID
22769
KEYWORDS
servant
servants
Castle Grant Staff

This image from the Grantown Museum archives shows a group of staff, photographed on the steps of Castle Grant. On the far right of the middle row is Margaret Morrison (née Fotheringham)

Castle Grant, the former seat of the Chiefs of the Clan Grant and the Earls of Seafield, is located 2.3 km northeast of Grantown on Spey. The first recorded mention of a tower here occurs in 1536. The building and surrounding lands at this time were in the ownership of 'Duncan le Gaunte of Fruychy', who had obtained them around 1450.

The building was named 'Castle Grant' by Sir Ludovick Grant in 1694, and was expanded at various times over the course of the 17th and early 18th centuries. Castle Grant was significantly remodelled and enlarged in the 1750s by the Scottish architect John Adam, and it was Adam who designed the building's severe north facade.

Castle Grant was sold by the Grant family in 1983, and has since remained in private ownership.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Grantown Museum

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Castle Grant Staff

MORAYSHIRE: Cromdale, Inverallan and Advie

1920s; 1930s

servant; servants

Grantown Museum

Grantown Museum Photographic Collection

This image from the Grantown Museum archives shows a group of staff, photographed on the steps of Castle Grant. On the far right of the middle row is Margaret Morrison (née Fotheringham)<br /> <br /> Castle Grant, the former seat of the Chiefs of the Clan Grant and the Earls of Seafield, is located 2.3 km northeast of Grantown on Spey. The first recorded mention of a tower here occurs in 1536. The building and surrounding lands at this time were in the ownership of 'Duncan le Gaunte of Fruychy', who had obtained them around 1450. <br /> <br /> The building was named 'Castle Grant' by Sir Ludovick Grant in 1694, and was expanded at various times over the course of the 17th and early 18th centuries. Castle Grant was significantly remodelled and enlarged in the 1750s by the Scottish architect John Adam, and it was Adam who designed the building's severe north facade. <br /> <br /> Castle Grant was sold by the Grant family in 1983, and has since remained in private ownership. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: gosmuseum@btconnect.com">Grantown Museum</a>