Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
West Lodge, Castle Grant
EXTERNAL ID
PC_GM2_PHOTOGRAPHS_015
PLACENAME
Castle Grant
DISTRICT
Cromdale
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
MORAYSHIRE: Cromdale, Inverallan and Advie
SOURCE
Grantown Museum
ASSET ID
22782
KEYWORDS
building
buildings
architecture
West Lodge, Castle Grant

This photograph shows the West Lodge, a building dating from the mid-to-late 19th century which sits at one of the entranceways to Castle Grant.

Castle Grant, the former seat of the Chiefs of the Clan Grant and the Earls of Seafield, is located 2.3 km northeast of Grantown on Spey. The first recorded mention of a tower here occurs in 1536. The building and surrounding lands at this time were in the ownership of 'Duncan le Gaunte of Fruychy', who had obtained them around 1450.

The building was named 'Castle Grant' by Sir Ludovick Grant in 1694, and was expanded at various times over the course of the 17th and early 18th centuries. Castle Grant was significantly remodelled and enlarged in the 1750s by the Scottish architect John Adam, and it was Adam who designed the building's severe north facade.

Castle Grant was sold by the Grant family in 1983, and has since remained in private ownership.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Grantown Museum

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

West Lodge, Castle Grant

MORAYSHIRE: Cromdale, Inverallan and Advie

building; buildings; architecture

Grantown Museum

Grantown Museum Photographic Collection

This photograph shows the West Lodge, a building dating from the mid-to-late 19th century which sits at one of the entranceways to Castle Grant. <br /> <br /> Castle Grant, the former seat of the Chiefs of the Clan Grant and the Earls of Seafield, is located 2.3 km northeast of Grantown on Spey. The first recorded mention of a tower here occurs in 1536. The building and surrounding lands at this time were in the ownership of 'Duncan le Gaunte of Fruychy', who had obtained them around 1450. <br /> <br /> The building was named 'Castle Grant' by Sir Ludovick Grant in 1694, and was expanded at various times over the course of the 17th and early 18th centuries. Castle Grant was significantly remodelled and enlarged in the 1750s by the Scottish architect John Adam, and it was Adam who designed the building's severe north facade. <br /> <br /> Castle Grant was sold by the Grant family in 1983, and has since remained in private ownership. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: gosmuseum@btconnect.com">Grantown Museum</a>