Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Wedding at the Nethy Bridge Hotel
EXTERNAL ID
PC_GM2_PHOTOGRAPHS_021
PLACENAME
Nethy Bridge
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Abernethy and Kincardine
SOURCE
Grantown Museum
ASSET ID
22787
KEYWORDS
marriage
fashion
dress
Wedding at the Nethy Bridge Hotel

Little is known about this photograph from the Grantown Museum archives, which shows a large wedding party, posing for a photograph outside the Nethy Bridge Hotel.

The Nethy Bridge Hotel, in the village of Nethy Bridge, lies approximately 8 km southwest of Grantown-on-Spey. The Hotel was constructed in 1898 and was extended several times during the 20th century.

Until the arrival of the railway here in 1863, Nethy Bridge was known as Abernethy. It was renamed Nethy Bridge to differentiate it from another Abernethy village, at which the Great North of Scotland Railway line already stopped. The name Nethy Bridge refers to the three-arch bridge in the village, designed by Thomas Telford and completed in 1806. The railway line that ran through Nethy Bridge closed in the 1960s.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Grantown Museum

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Wedding at the Nethy Bridge Hotel

INVERNESS: Abernethy and Kincardine

marriage; fashion; dress

Grantown Museum

Grantown Museum Photographic Collection

Little is known about this photograph from the Grantown Museum archives, which shows a large wedding party, posing for a photograph outside the Nethy Bridge Hotel.<br /> <br /> The Nethy Bridge Hotel, in the village of Nethy Bridge, lies approximately 8 km southwest of Grantown-on-Spey. The Hotel was constructed in 1898 and was extended several times during the 20th century.<br /> <br /> Until the arrival of the railway here in 1863, Nethy Bridge was known as Abernethy. It was renamed Nethy Bridge to differentiate it from another Abernethy village, at which the Great North of Scotland Railway line already stopped. The name Nethy Bridge refers to the three-arch bridge in the village, designed by Thomas Telford and completed in 1806. The railway line that ran through Nethy Bridge closed in the 1960s. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: gosmuseum@btconnect.com">Grantown Museum</a>