Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Underneath the Old Spey Bridge, Grantown
EXTERNAL ID
PC_GM2_PHOTOGRAPHS_075
PLACENAME
Grantown on Spey
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
MORAYSHIRE: Cromdale, Inverallan and Advie
SOURCE
Grantown Museum
ASSET ID
22807
KEYWORDS
bridges
rivers
people
Underneath the Old Spey Bridge, Grantown

Three unidentified men stand underneath the Old Spey Bridge near Grantown. The photo forms part of the Grantown Museum archives.

The Old Spey Bridge on the River Spey is located 1.5 km southeast of Grantown on Spey. The bridge is made of granite, and was built in 1754 by General Wade's successor, Major William Caulfield, as part of the military road that ran from Coupar Angus to Fort George. The inscription on the bridge reads, "AD 1754. 5 companeis of the 33rd Regement Colonel Charles Hay. Ended"

The Old Spey Bridge is the predecessor of the New Spey Bridge, located approximately 1 km south of Grantown on Spey. The New Bridge is made of concrete and was designed by the engineering firm Blyth and Blyth. It was officially opened on 11 December 1931.

Located approximately 32 km southeast of Inverness, Grantown is a planned village, established in 1765 by the local landowner, Sir James Grant.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Grantown Museum

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Underneath the Old Spey Bridge, Grantown

MORAYSHIRE: Cromdale, Inverallan and Advie

bridges; rivers; people

Grantown Museum

Grantown Museum Photographic Collection

Three unidentified men stand underneath the Old Spey Bridge near Grantown. The photo forms part of the Grantown Museum archives.<br /> <br /> The Old Spey Bridge on the River Spey is located 1.5 km southeast of Grantown on Spey. The bridge is made of granite, and was built in 1754 by General Wade's successor, Major William Caulfield, as part of the military road that ran from Coupar Angus to Fort George. The inscription on the bridge reads, "AD 1754. 5 companeis of the 33rd Regement Colonel Charles Hay. Ended"<br /> <br /> The Old Spey Bridge is the predecessor of the New Spey Bridge, located approximately 1 km south of Grantown on Spey. The New Bridge is made of concrete and was designed by the engineering firm Blyth and Blyth. It was officially opened on 11 December 1931. <br /> <br /> Located approximately 32 km southeast of Inverness, Grantown is a planned village, established in 1765 by the local landowner, Sir James Grant. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: gosmuseum@btconnect.com">Grantown Museum</a>