Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Grantown Wolf Cubs, 1949
EXTERNAL ID
PC_GM2_PHOTOGRAPHS_127
PLACENAME
Grantown on Spey
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
MORAYSHIRE: Cromdale, Inverallan and Advie
DATE OF IMAGE
1949
PERIOD
1940s
SOURCE
Grantown Museum
ASSET ID
22830
KEYWORDS
Grantown Wolf Cubs, 1949

This photograph was taken shortly after the Grantown Wolf Cubs had been restarted after a lengthy period in abeyance. The man on the right is Rev. William Mackay (Cubmaster) and the younger man is Douglas Livingstone (Assistant Cubmaster). The photo was taken in the Square in Grantown.

Scouting in Grantown dates back to 1908, although there have been a number of times when the Scout Troop (originally for boys aged 11 to 18) closed through leadership problems. From 1954 to 1969 the Scout Group (which included a Cub Pack and a Scout Troop) was known as the first 1st Inverallan, as it was run in conjunction with the local church, with the minister as Scoutmaster. From 1969 it has been known as the 1st Grantown Scouts. The Wolf Cubs (Cub Scouts since 1968) were established in Grantown in 1925 but again through leadership problems do not have a continuous record from that date. At the time of writing (2008) the Grantown Scouts have a Beaver Colony (for 6 and 7 year olds), Cubs (for 8 to 10 year olds), and Scouts (for 10 to 15 year olds). Grantown Scouts are one of several Scout Groups which are within Inverness Scout District.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Grantown Museum

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Grantown Wolf Cubs, 1949

MORAYSHIRE: Cromdale, Inverallan and Advie

1940s

Grantown Museum

Grantown Museum Photographic Collection

This photograph was taken shortly after the Grantown Wolf Cubs had been restarted after a lengthy period in abeyance. The man on the right is Rev. William Mackay (Cubmaster) and the younger man is Douglas Livingstone (Assistant Cubmaster). The photo was taken in the Square in Grantown.<br /> <br /> Scouting in Grantown dates back to 1908, although there have been a number of times when the Scout Troop (originally for boys aged 11 to 18) closed through leadership problems. From 1954 to 1969 the Scout Group (which included a Cub Pack and a Scout Troop) was known as the first 1st Inverallan, as it was run in conjunction with the local church, with the minister as Scoutmaster. From 1969 it has been known as the 1st Grantown Scouts. The Wolf Cubs (Cub Scouts since 1968) were established in Grantown in 1925 but again through leadership problems do not have a continuous record from that date. At the time of writing (2008) the Grantown Scouts have a Beaver Colony (for 6 and 7 year olds), Cubs (for 8 to 10 year olds), and Scouts (for 10 to 15 year olds). Grantown Scouts are one of several Scout Groups which are within Inverness Scout District. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: gosmuseum@btconnect.com">Grantown Museum</a>