Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Souvenir of Grantown on Spey - Image 4, Castle Grant
EXTERNAL ID
PC_GM2_POSTCARDS_005
PLACENAME
Grantown on Spey
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
MORAYSHIRE: Cromdale, Inverallan and Advie
SOURCE
Grantown Museum
ASSET ID
22852
KEYWORDS
architecture
Souvenir of Grantown on Spey - Image 4, Castle Grant

This is the fourth of ten images from a 'Souvenir of Grantown on Spey' postcard set; it shows Castle Grant, located 2.3 km northeast of Grantown on Spey.

The first recorded mention of a tower here occurs in 1536. The building and surrounding lands at this time were in the ownership of 'Duncan le Gaunte of Fruychy', who had obtained them around 1450.

The building was named 'Castle Grant' by Sir Ludovick Grant in 1694, and was expanded at various times over the course of the 17th and early 18th centuries. Castle Grant was significantly remodelled and enlarged in the 1750s by the Scottish architect John Adam, and it was Adam who designed the building's severe north facade.

John Adam (1721-1792) came from a family of celebrated architects. His father, William Adam, designed Hopetoun House near Edinburgh, and his brother, Robert Adam, designed Edinburgh's Charlotte Square and Culzean Castle in Ayrshire.

Castle Grant is currently unoccupied and in a poor state of repair.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Grantown Museum

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Souvenir of Grantown on Spey - Image 4, Castle Grant

MORAYSHIRE: Cromdale, Inverallan and Advie

architecture

Grantown Museum

Grantown Museum Photographic Collection

This is the fourth of ten images from a 'Souvenir of Grantown on Spey' postcard set; it shows Castle Grant, located 2.3 km northeast of Grantown on Spey. <br /> <br /> The first recorded mention of a tower here occurs in 1536. The building and surrounding lands at this time were in the ownership of 'Duncan le Gaunte of Fruychy', who had obtained them around 1450. <br /> <br /> The building was named 'Castle Grant' by Sir Ludovick Grant in 1694, and was expanded at various times over the course of the 17th and early 18th centuries. Castle Grant was significantly remodelled and enlarged in the 1750s by the Scottish architect John Adam, and it was Adam who designed the building's severe north facade. <br /> <br /> John Adam (1721-1792) came from a family of celebrated architects. His father, William Adam, designed Hopetoun House near Edinburgh, and his brother, Robert Adam, designed Edinburgh's Charlotte Square and Culzean Castle in Ayrshire. <br /> <br /> Castle Grant is currently unoccupied and in a poor state of repair. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: gosmuseum@btconnect.com">Grantown Museum</a>