Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Grantown Grammar School Pupils and Teacher
EXTERNAL ID
PC_GM4_SCHOOL_006
PLACENAME
Grantown on Spey
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
MORAYSHIRE: Cromdale, Inverallan and Advie
DATE OF IMAGE
c.1902
PERIOD
1900s
SOURCE
Grantown Museum
ASSET ID
23071
KEYWORDS
education
schools
schooling
Grantown Grammar School Pupils and Teacher

This image from the Grantown Museum archives shows pupils from Grantown Grammar School with their teacher. It is thought that the photograph was taken about 1902.

Located approximately 32 km southeast of Inverness, Grantown is a planned village, established in 1765 by the local landowner, Sir James Grant.

The original Grantown Grammar School building was on South Street, and is now Grantown Primary School. The school was designed by Alexander Marshall MacKenzie and built in 1875. The Grammar School opened just a few years after the passing of the 1872 Education (Scotland) Act, which for the first time made elementary education compulsory for all children aged between 5-13.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Grantown Museum

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Grantown Grammar School Pupils and Teacher

MORAYSHIRE: Cromdale, Inverallan and Advie

1900s

education; schools; schooling

Grantown Museum

Grantown Museum Photographic Collection

This image from the Grantown Museum archives shows pupils from Grantown Grammar School with their teacher. It is thought that the photograph was taken about 1902. <br /> <br /> Located approximately 32 km southeast of Inverness, Grantown is a planned village, established in 1765 by the local landowner, Sir James Grant.<br /> <br /> The original Grantown Grammar School building was on South Street, and is now Grantown Primary School. The school was designed by Alexander Marshall MacKenzie and built in 1875. The Grammar School opened just a few years after the passing of the 1872 Education (Scotland) Act, which for the first time made elementary education compulsory for all children aged between 5-13. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: gosmuseum@btconnect.com">Grantown Museum</a>