Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Officers 6th Seaforths, September 1909
EXTERNAL ID
PC_GM_ALBUM_27
PLACENAME
Grantown on Spey
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
MORAYSHIRE: Cromdale, Inverallan and Advie
DATE OF IMAGE
18 September 1909
PERIOD
1900s
SOURCE
Grantown Museum
ASSET ID
23152
KEYWORDS
army
soldiers
regimental colours
regiments
Officers 6th Seaforths, September 1909

A group photograph, taken in September 1909, of officers from the 6th (Morayshire) Battalion of the Seaforth Highlanders.

The Seaforth Highlanders regiment was created as part of the Childers Reforms in 1881, through the amalgamation of the 72nd Highlanders (Duke of Albany's Own) and the 78th Highlanders (Ross-shire Buffs). Fort George served as the Seaforth Highlanders' depot for most of the regiment's existence. Their motto is 'Cuidich an Righ', which translates from the Gaelic as 'Aid the King'.

Pictured are, from left to right:

Standing - Capt. T Christie; Lt. W McDonald; Capt. W H Doig; Major A Cumming; Lt. T R Mackenzie; Lt. A G Asher; Major A Y Cook; Lt. A Cameron; Major G B Taylor; Capt. A L Ramsay; Lt. A Scott

Seated - Major H T Spence; Capt. J Grant Smith; Major W R Black; Capt. A S Wilson; Col. C J Mackenzie; Major O A Shiach; Major S Gair; Surgeon Capt. D G Campbell; Capt W S Urquhart


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Grantown Museum

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Officers 6th Seaforths, September 1909

MORAYSHIRE: Cromdale, Inverallan and Advie

1900s

army; soldiers; regimental colours; regiments

Grantown Museum

Grantown Museum Photographic Collection

A group photograph, taken in September 1909, of officers from the 6th (Morayshire) Battalion of the Seaforth Highlanders.<br /> <br /> The Seaforth Highlanders regiment was created as part of the Childers Reforms in 1881, through the amalgamation of the 72nd Highlanders (Duke of Albany's Own) and the 78th Highlanders (Ross-shire Buffs). Fort George served as the Seaforth Highlanders' depot for most of the regiment's existence. Their motto is 'Cuidich an Righ', which translates from the Gaelic as 'Aid the King'.<br /> <br /> Pictured are, from left to right: <br /> <br /> Standing - Capt. T Christie; Lt. W McDonald; Capt. W H Doig; Major A Cumming; Lt. T R Mackenzie; Lt. A G Asher; Major A Y Cook; Lt. A Cameron; Major G B Taylor; Capt. A L Ramsay; Lt. A Scott<br /> <br /> Seated - Major H T Spence; Capt. J Grant Smith; Major W R Black; Capt. A S Wilson; Col. C J Mackenzie; Major O A Shiach; Major S Gair; Surgeon Capt. D G Campbell; Capt W S Urquhart <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: gosmuseum@btconnect.com">Grantown Museum</a>