Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
"Greetings from Grantown on Spey" Postcard Set - Old Bridge, River Spey and the Cromdale Hills
EXTERNAL ID
PC_GM_POSTCARDS_048B
PLACENAME
Old Spey Bridge
DISTRICT
Cromdale
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
MORAYSHIRE: Cromdale, Inverallan and Advie
SOURCE
Grantown Museum
ASSET ID
23300
KEYWORDS
"Greetings from Grantown on Spey" Postcard Set - Old Bridge, River Spey and the Cromdale Hills

This postcard is titled "Old Bridge - River Spey and the Cromdale Hills", and is one of a set of six postcards entitled "Greetings from Grantown on Spey". The Old Spey Bridge is located 1.5 km southeast of Grantown on Spey. The bridge is made of granite, and was built in 1754 by General Wade's successor, Major William Caulfield, as part of the military road that ran from Coupar Angus to Fort George. The inscription on the bridge reads, "AD 1754. 5 companeis of the 33rd Regement Colonel Charles Hay. Ended."

The Old Spey Bridge is the predecessor of the New Spey Bridge, located approximately 1 km south of Grantown on Spey. The New Bridge is made of concrete and was designed by the engineering firm Blyth and Blyth. It was officially opened on 11 December 1931.

Located approximately 32 km southeast of Inverness, Grantown is a planned village, established in 1765 by the local landowner, Sir James Grant.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Grantown Museum

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

"Greetings from Grantown on Spey" Postcard Set - Old Bridge, River Spey and the Cromdale Hills

MORAYSHIRE: Cromdale, Inverallan and Advie

Grantown Museum

Grantown Museum Photographic Collection

This postcard is titled "Old Bridge - River Spey and the Cromdale Hills", and is one of a set of six postcards entitled "Greetings from Grantown on Spey". The Old Spey Bridge is located 1.5 km southeast of Grantown on Spey. The bridge is made of granite, and was built in 1754 by General Wade's successor, Major William Caulfield, as part of the military road that ran from Coupar Angus to Fort George. The inscription on the bridge reads, "AD 1754. 5 companeis of the 33rd Regement Colonel Charles Hay. Ended."<br /> <br /> The Old Spey Bridge is the predecessor of the New Spey Bridge, located approximately 1 km south of Grantown on Spey. The New Bridge is made of concrete and was designed by the engineering firm Blyth and Blyth. It was officially opened on 11 December 1931.<br /> <br /> Located approximately 32 km southeast of Inverness, Grantown is a planned village, established in 1765 by the local landowner, Sir James Grant. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: gosmuseum@btconnect.com">Grantown Museum</a>