Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
"Greetings from Grantown on Spey" Postcard Set - The Square
EXTERNAL ID
PC_GM_POSTCARDS_048E
PLACENAME
Grantown on Spey
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
MORAYSHIRE: Cromdale, Inverallan and Advie
SOURCE
Grantown Museum
ASSET ID
23303
KEYWORDS
building
buildings
architecture
people
car
cars
vehicles
"Greetings from Grantown on Spey" Postcard Set - The Square

This postcard is one of a set of six postcards entitled "Greetings from Grantown on Spey", and shows Grantown's main square. Located approximately 32 km southeast of Inverness, Grantown is a planned village, established in 1765 by the local landowner, Sir James Grant.

Grantown is one of approximately 150 planned villages that were established in Scotland between 1750 and 1850. Agricultural improvements that took place during the 18th century, especially the enclosure of farmland, meant that far fewer people were needed to work the land. This led to much social disruption, and many landowners in Scotland created planned villages as a way of promoting trade and industry in their area, and as a means of providing employment to those who had been forced to leave the land.

Sir James Grant laid out Grantown around a large, central square on a site that was well served by two military roads. Leases for building plots were put up for sale in 1765, and Sir James placed an advert in the 'Aberdeen Journal' stating that he would give "Feus or long leases, and all proper encouragement to Manufacturers, Tradesmen, or others, sufficiently recommended and attested, as to Character and Ability, who incline to settle there."

Sir James invested heavily to attract manufacturers of different kinds to Grantown, but by the late 1700s it was clear that these industries were failing to prosper. The settlement found success however as a service centre for the surrounding district, and from the 1860s onwards prospered also from an increase in the number of tourists visiting the area.

This growth in tourism was due in part to the arrival of the railway to Grantown in 1863, which enabled far greater numbers of tourists to visit the settlement. In September 1860 Grantown was also visited by Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. The royal couple stayed overnight at the Grant Arms Hotel, seen on the right of this image. Their purchase of Balmoral in the 1840s significantly boosted the appeal of the Highlands to the British public.

Grantown's war memorial, partially seen on the left of this image, was designed by Alexander Marshall MacKenzie and unveiled by the Countess of Seafield on 18 September, 1921.

The historian RN MacMillan has described Grantown as "among the best-preserved and most interesting of all Scottish planned villages". Today, it is still a centre of tourism, and has a population of just over 2,000.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Grantown Museum

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

"Greetings from Grantown on Spey" Postcard Set - The Square

MORAYSHIRE: Cromdale, Inverallan and Advie

building; buildings; architecture; people; car; cars; vehicles

Grantown Museum

Grantown Museum Photographic Collection

This postcard is one of a set of six postcards entitled "Greetings from Grantown on Spey", and shows Grantown's main square. Located approximately 32 km southeast of Inverness, Grantown is a planned village, established in 1765 by the local landowner, Sir James Grant.<br /> <br /> Grantown is one of approximately 150 planned villages that were established in Scotland between 1750 and 1850. Agricultural improvements that took place during the 18th century, especially the enclosure of farmland, meant that far fewer people were needed to work the land. This led to much social disruption, and many landowners in Scotland created planned villages as a way of promoting trade and industry in their area, and as a means of providing employment to those who had been forced to leave the land.<br /> <br /> Sir James Grant laid out Grantown around a large, central square on a site that was well served by two military roads. Leases for building plots were put up for sale in 1765, and Sir James placed an advert in the 'Aberdeen Journal' stating that he would give "Feus or long leases, and all proper encouragement to Manufacturers, Tradesmen, or others, sufficiently recommended and attested, as to Character and Ability, who incline to settle there."<br /> <br /> Sir James invested heavily to attract manufacturers of different kinds to Grantown, but by the late 1700s it was clear that these industries were failing to prosper. The settlement found success however as a service centre for the surrounding district, and from the 1860s onwards prospered also from an increase in the number of tourists visiting the area. <br /> <br /> This growth in tourism was due in part to the arrival of the railway to Grantown in 1863, which enabled far greater numbers of tourists to visit the settlement. In September 1860 Grantown was also visited by Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. The royal couple stayed overnight at the Grant Arms Hotel, seen on the right of this image. Their purchase of Balmoral in the 1840s significantly boosted the appeal of the Highlands to the British public. <br /> <br /> Grantown's war memorial, partially seen on the left of this image, was designed by Alexander Marshall MacKenzie and unveiled by the Countess of Seafield on 18 September, 1921.<br /> <br /> The historian RN MacMillan has described Grantown as "among the best-preserved and most interesting of all Scottish planned villages". Today, it is still a centre of tourism, and has a population of just over 2,000. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: gosmuseum@btconnect.com">Grantown Museum</a>