Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Old and New Bridges, Grantown on Spey
EXTERNAL ID
PC_GM_POSTCARDS_054
PLACENAME
Old and New Spey Bridges
DISTRICT
Cromdale
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
MORAYSHIRE: Cromdale, Inverallan and Advie
SOURCE
Grantown Museum
ASSET ID
23309
KEYWORDS
mountains
hills
bridges
rivers
trees
Old and New Bridges, Grantown on Spey

This postcard shows both the Old and New Spey Bridges, near Grantown on Spey.

The New Spey Bridge, seen in the foreground of the image, is located approximately 1 km south of Grantown on Spey. The bridge is made of concrete and was designed by the engineering firm Blyth and Blyth. It was officially opened on 11 December 1931.

The Old Spey Bridge is located 1.5 km southeast of Grantown-on-Spey. The bridge is made of granite, and was built in 1754 by General Wade's successor, Major William Caulfield, as part of the military road that ran from Coupar Angus to Fort George. The inscription on the bridge reads, "AD 1754. 5 companeis of the 33rd Regement Colonel Charles Hay. Ended."


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Grantown Museum

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Old and New Bridges, Grantown on Spey

MORAYSHIRE: Cromdale, Inverallan and Advie

mountains; hills; bridges; rivers; trees

Grantown Museum

Grantown Museum Photographic Collection

This postcard shows both the Old and New Spey Bridges, near Grantown on Spey. <br /> <br /> The New Spey Bridge, seen in the foreground of the image, is located approximately 1 km south of Grantown on Spey. The bridge is made of concrete and was designed by the engineering firm Blyth and Blyth. It was officially opened on 11 December 1931. <br /> <br /> The Old Spey Bridge is located 1.5 km southeast of Grantown-on-Spey. The bridge is made of granite, and was built in 1754 by General Wade's successor, Major William Caulfield, as part of the military road that ran from Coupar Angus to Fort George. The inscription on the bridge reads, "AD 1754. 5 companeis of the 33rd Regement Colonel Charles Hay. Ended." <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: gosmuseum@btconnect.com">Grantown Museum</a>