Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Good Luck from Grantown on Spey
EXTERNAL ID
PC_GM_POSTCARDS_080
PLACENAME
Grantown on Spey
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
MORAYSHIRE: Cromdale, Inverallan and Advie
SOURCE
Grantown Museum
ASSET ID
23333
KEYWORDS
cat
Good Luck from Grantown on Spey

This postcard offers four views of landmarks in and around Grantown on Spey. Located approximately 32 km southeast of Inverness, Grantown is a planned village, established in 1765 by the local landowner, Sir James Grant.

The image on the top left of the postcard is titled "A Peep of the Old Bridge". The Old Spey Bridge is located 1.5 km southeast of Grantownn on Spey. The bridge is made of granite, and was built in 1754 by General Wade's successor, Major William Caulfield, as part of the military road that ran from Coupar Angus to Fort George. The inscription on the bridge reads, "AD 1754. 5 companeis of the 33rd Regement Colonel Charles Hay. Ended."

The New Spey Bridge is seen in the bottom right of the postcard. Located approximately 1 km south of Grantown, the bridge is made of concrete and was designed by the engineering firm Blyth and Blyth. It was officially opened on 11 December 1931.

The "Snow Clad Cairngorms" are seen in the top right of the postcard, and the bottom left image is of the Craiglynne Hotel on Woodlands Terrace in Grantown. The building consists of two villas, which date from the late 19th century. The middle-section of the hotel, with its two towers, was built around 1900, and joined the two villas together.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Grantown Museum

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Good Luck from Grantown on Spey

MORAYSHIRE: Cromdale, Inverallan and Advie

cat

Grantown Museum

Grantown Museum Photographic Collection

This postcard offers four views of landmarks in and around Grantown on Spey. Located approximately 32 km southeast of Inverness, Grantown is a planned village, established in 1765 by the local landowner, Sir James Grant.<br /> <br /> The image on the top left of the postcard is titled "A Peep of the Old Bridge". The Old Spey Bridge is located 1.5 km southeast of Grantownn on Spey. The bridge is made of granite, and was built in 1754 by General Wade's successor, Major William Caulfield, as part of the military road that ran from Coupar Angus to Fort George. The inscription on the bridge reads, "AD 1754. 5 companeis of the 33rd Regement Colonel Charles Hay. Ended."<br /> <br /> The New Spey Bridge is seen in the bottom right of the postcard. Located approximately 1 km south of Grantown, the bridge is made of concrete and was designed by the engineering firm Blyth and Blyth. It was officially opened on 11 December 1931. <br /> <br /> The "Snow Clad Cairngorms" are seen in the top right of the postcard, and the bottom left image is of the Craiglynne Hotel on Woodlands Terrace in Grantown. The building consists of two villas, which date from the late 19th century. The middle-section of the hotel, with its two towers, was built around 1900, and joined the two villas together. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: gosmuseum@btconnect.com">Grantown Museum</a>