Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Old and New Carr Bridges, Carrbridge
EXTERNAL ID
PC_GM_POSTCARDS_105
PLACENAME
Carrbridge
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus
SOURCE
Grantown Museum
ASSET ID
23352
KEYWORDS
bridges
hotels
inns
Old and New Carr Bridges, Carrbridge

A postcard showing the old and new Carr Bridges, with the Carrbridge Hotel in the background. Carrbridge is located 11 km north of Aviemore.

The old bridge, in the foreground of the image, was built in 1717 at the behest of Brigadier-General Sir Alexander Grant, to allow people and animals passage across the River Dulnain. The bridge also ensured that funerals taking place in Duthil Churchyard were not delayed because the river was in spate, and for this reason it is still known locally as the 'coffin bridge'. The bridge was built by stonemason John Niccelsone at a cost of £100.

The 'new bridge' behind was built in 1791, and in 1803 an inn was built beside the bridge, which later became the Carrbidge Hotel. This bridge has since been replaced by a more modern structure.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Grantown Museum

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Old and New Carr Bridges, Carrbridge

INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus

bridges; hotels; inns

Grantown Museum

Grantown Museum Photographic Collection

A postcard showing the old and new Carr Bridges, with the Carrbridge Hotel in the background. Carrbridge is located 11 km north of Aviemore.<br /> <br /> The old bridge, in the foreground of the image, was built in 1717 at the behest of Brigadier-General Sir Alexander Grant, to allow people and animals passage across the River Dulnain. The bridge also ensured that funerals taking place in Duthil Churchyard were not delayed because the river was in spate, and for this reason it is still known locally as the 'coffin bridge'. The bridge was built by stonemason John Niccelsone at a cost of £100.<br /> <br /> The 'new bridge' behind was built in 1791, and in 1803 an inn was built beside the bridge, which later became the Carrbidge Hotel. This bridge has since been replaced by a more modern structure. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: gosmuseum@btconnect.com">Grantown Museum</a>