Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
West Lodge, Castle Grant, Grantown on Spey
EXTERNAL ID
PC_GM_POSTCARDS_138A_AT
PLACENAME
Grantown on Spey
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
MORAYSHIRE: Cromdale, Inverallan and Advie
DATE OF IMAGE
2009
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Andrew Taylor
SOURCE
Andrew Taylor
ASSET ID
23390
KEYWORDS
architecture
Grants
castles
lodges
Highland Railway Society
West Lodge, Castle Grant, Grantown on Spey

This photograph shows the West Lodge, a building dating from the mid-to-late 19th century which sits at one of the entranceways to Castle Grant.

Castle Grant is located 2.3 km northeast of Grantown on Spey. The first recorded mention of a tower here occurs in 1536. The building and surrounding lands at this time were in the ownership of 'Duncan le Gaunte of Fruychy', who had obtained them around 1450.

The building was named 'Castle Grant' by Sir Ludovick Grant in 1694, and was expanded at various times over the course of the 17th and early 18th centuries. Castle Grant was significantly remodelled and enlarged in the 1750s by the Scottish architect John Adam, and it was Adam who designed the building's severe north facade.

John Adam (1721-1792) came from a family of celebrated architects. His father, William Adam, designed Hopetoun House near Edinburgh, and his brother, Robert Adam, designed Edinburgh's Charlotte Square and Culzean Castle in Ayrshire.

Castle Grant is currently unoccupied and in a poor state of repair.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

West Lodge, Castle Grant, Grantown on Spey

MORAYSHIRE: Cromdale, Inverallan and Advie

2000s

architecture; Grants; castles; lodges; Highland Railway Society;

Andrew Taylor

This photograph shows the West Lodge, a building dating from the mid-to-late 19th century which sits at one of the entranceways to Castle Grant. <br /> <br /> Castle Grant is located 2.3 km northeast of Grantown on Spey. The first recorded mention of a tower here occurs in 1536. The building and surrounding lands at this time were in the ownership of 'Duncan le Gaunte of Fruychy', who had obtained them around 1450. <br /> <br /> The building was named 'Castle Grant' by Sir Ludovick Grant in 1694, and was expanded at various times over the course of the 17th and early 18th centuries. Castle Grant was significantly remodelled and enlarged in the 1750s by the Scottish architect John Adam, and it was Adam who designed the building's severe north facade. <br /> <br /> John Adam (1721-1792) came from a family of celebrated architects. His father, William Adam, designed Hopetoun House near Edinburgh, and his brother, Robert Adam, designed Edinburgh's Charlotte Square and Culzean Castle in Ayrshire. <br /> <br /> Castle Grant is currently unoccupied and in a poor state of repair.