Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Beauly Priory
EXTERNAL ID
PC_GWW_02
PLACENAME
Beauly; Beauly Priory
DISTRICT
Aird
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmorack
CREATOR
George Washington Wilson
SOURCE
Kilmorack Heritage Group
ASSET ID
23453
KEYWORDS
photographers
priories
Beauly Priory

George Washington Wilson (1823 - 1893) was an Aberdeen-based photographer who travelled extensively in Scotland and abroad taking landscape photographs with the aid of a portable darkroom. He photographed Queen Victoria and was commissioned by her to record the construction of Balmoral.

This photograph shows Beauly Priory, home to an order of French monks, the Valliscaulians, in the 12th century. The name 'Beauly' is derived from the French 'beau lieu', or 'beautiful place'. The priory fell into disuse after the Reformation and some of its stones were used for other buildings in the town. In 1564, Mary, Queen of Scots stayed at the priory while travelling in the Highlands.

More information about Beauly can be found at www.kilmorack.com, the Kilmorack Heritage Association, who supplied this photograph

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Beauly Priory

INVERNESS: Kilmorack

photographers; priories

Kilmorack Heritage Group

George Washington Wilson (1823 - 1893) was an Aberdeen-based photographer who travelled extensively in Scotland and abroad taking landscape photographs with the aid of a portable darkroom. He photographed Queen Victoria and was commissioned by her to record the construction of Balmoral. <br /> <br /> This photograph shows Beauly Priory, home to an order of French monks, the Valliscaulians, in the 12th century. The name 'Beauly' is derived from the French 'beau lieu', or 'beautiful place'. The priory fell into disuse after the Reformation and some of its stones were used for other buildings in the town. In 1564, Mary, Queen of Scots stayed at the priory while travelling in the Highlands.<br /> <br /> More information about Beauly can be found at www.kilmorack.com, the Kilmorack Heritage Association, who supplied this photograph