Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Beauly Tryst
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HIGHLANDLIVESTOCK_002
PLACENAME
Beauly
DISTRICT
Aird
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmorack
PERIOD
19c
SOURCE
Highland Livestock Heritage Society
ASSET ID
23457
KEYWORDS
marts
markets
trysts
The Beauly Tryst

This photograph shows a cattle market, or tryst, in the square in Beauly in the late 19th century.

The long shadows in the photo indicate that it is late afternoon, and the market is almost over. Some cattle and a few vendors still remain.

For hundreds of years, cattle and latterly sheep markets were held throughout the Highlands and Islands. There were no pens at these markets. Drovers kept their own stock grouped together with the assistance of local children and dogs. Sales were transacted by private bargaining. The main cattle market in the Highlands was originally held in Beauly, but about 1820 it was moved to Muir of Ord. From the 1860s onwards, the markets were gradually replaced by auction marts.

Cattle and sheep were driven to the markets on foot by drovers, and once sold, were then driven south to markets at Crieff or Falkirk and then to England.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Beauly Tryst

INVERNESS: Kilmorack

19c

marts; markets; trysts

Highland Livestock Heritage Society

Highland Livestock Heritage Society photographs

This photograph shows a cattle market, or tryst, in the square in Beauly in the late 19th century. <br /> <br /> The long shadows in the photo indicate that it is late afternoon, and the market is almost over. Some cattle and a few vendors still remain. <br /> <br /> For hundreds of years, cattle and latterly sheep markets were held throughout the Highlands and Islands. There were no pens at these markets. Drovers kept their own stock grouped together with the assistance of local children and dogs. Sales were transacted by private bargaining. The main cattle market in the Highlands was originally held in Beauly, but about 1820 it was moved to Muir of Ord. From the 1860s onwards, the markets were gradually replaced by auction marts. <br /> <br /> Cattle and sheep were driven to the markets on foot by drovers, and once sold, were then driven south to markets at Crieff or Falkirk and then to England.