Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Duke of Sutherland's Bogie Saloon outside the NRM, York
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_COACHES_029
PLACENAME
York
CREATOR
Model Railway News
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
23618
KEYWORDS
HRS
railway coaches
railway carriages
rolling stock
The Duke of Sutherland's Bogie Saloon outside the NRM, York

This photograph shows a bogie saloon car belonging to the Duke of Sutherland. It was built in 1899 at Wolverton Works in Buckinghamshire.

It was used primarily to take people between Inverness and the Duke's private station at Dunrobin and would usually be pulled by the Duke's own locomotive, an 0-4-4 tank engine also called 'Dunrobin'.

British Railways removed the Duke's right to run his train in 1949 and so the locomotive and both of his coaches were sold. They were bought by a private collector who, in 1990, transferred it the National Railway Museum, where this photograph was taken.

In 2011 it went on loan to the Scottish Railway Preservation Society's museum at Bo'ness.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Duke of Sutherland's Bogie Saloon outside the NRM, York

HRS; railway coaches; railway carriages; rolling stock

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Coaches

This photograph shows a bogie saloon car belonging to the Duke of Sutherland. It was built in 1899 at Wolverton Works in Buckinghamshire.<br /> <br /> It was used primarily to take people between Inverness and the Duke's private station at Dunrobin and would usually be pulled by the Duke's own locomotive, an 0-4-4 tank engine also called 'Dunrobin'.<br /> <br /> British Railways removed the Duke's right to run his train in 1949 and so the locomotive and both of his coaches were sold. They were bought by a private collector who, in 1990, transferred it the National Railway Museum, where this photograph was taken.<br /> <br /> In 2011 it went on loan to the Scottish Railway Preservation Society's museum at Bo'ness.