Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
A TPO at St Rollox, 1949
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_COACHES_128
PLACENAME
Glasgow
DATE OF IMAGE
15 March 1949
PERIOD
1940s
CREATOR
J L Stevenson
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
23709
KEYWORDS
railway coaches
railway carriages
rolling stock
Royal Mail
communication
A TPO at St Rollox, 1949

This photograph shows a Post Office van which is forming part of a train at St Rollox in March 1949. It carries the number M30322.

The mechanism on the side of the van allowed bags of mail to be collected from stations without the train having to stop.

The Caledonian Railway built the St Rollox locomotive and carriage works at Springburn, in Glasgow, in 1856. It was named after the nearby parish church of St. Roche. In 1923 it became the main works of the Northern Division of the LMS.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

A TPO at St Rollox, 1949

1940s

railway coaches; railway carriages; rolling stock; Royal Mail; communication

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Coaches

This photograph shows a Post Office van which is forming part of a train at St Rollox in March 1949. It carries the number M30322.<br /> <br /> The mechanism on the side of the van allowed bags of mail to be collected from stations without the train having to stop.<br /> <br /> The Caledonian Railway built the St Rollox locomotive and carriage works at Springburn, in Glasgow, in 1856. It was named after the nearby parish church of St. Roche. In 1923 it became the main works of the Northern Division of the LMS.