Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
LMS 16118 on train
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_DLGHCOLLECTION_001_002
PLACENAME
unidentified
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
23840
KEYWORDS
locomotives
trains
railway stations
LMS 16118 on train

16118 (formerly HR 56) was one of three 0-6-0 saddletanks built at the Highland Railway's own Lochgorm works in Inverness. Collectively, these locomotives are often referred to as 'Lochgorm Tanks'. 16118 was built in April 1869 and rebuilt in 1896. Originally named 'Balnain', it was renamed 'Dornoch' in 1902 when it became the locomotive to work on the Dornoch Light Railway.

In the last years of its life it underwent several changes of number: to 56A in July 1919, back to 56 in September 1919, to 56A again in July 1921 and 56B in May 1922.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

LMS 16118 on train

locomotives; trains; railway stations

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - DLG Hunter Collection

16118 (formerly HR 56) was one of three 0-6-0 saddletanks built at the Highland Railway's own Lochgorm works in Inverness. Collectively, these locomotives are often referred to as 'Lochgorm Tanks'. 16118 was built in April 1869 and rebuilt in 1896. Originally named 'Balnain', it was renamed 'Dornoch' in 1902 when it became the locomotive to work on the Dornoch Light Railway.<br /> <br /> In the last years of its life it underwent several changes of number: to 56A in July 1919, back to 56 in September 1919, to 56A again in July 1921 and 56B in May 1922.