Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
LMS 16383
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_DLGHCOLLECTION_001_008
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
23846
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
LMS 16383

The first locomotives to be built at the Highland Railway's Lochgorm works in Inverness were three 0-6-0 saddletanks. It was the only new design of locomotive brought in during William Stroudley's spell as the company's locomotive superintendent. Only three engines were built. They are considered to be the forerunner of the London Brighton & South Coast Railway's A1, or 'Terrier', class of tank engine.

This photograph shows LMS 16383. It was the last of the Lochgorm class to be built, in October 1874. Originally named 'St Martins' (the second HR loco to bear that name), it was rebuilt in June 1896 and renamed 'Fort George' in 1899. Two years later it was renumbered 49. It was renumbered again in July 1912, as 49A, and after the grouping became LMS 16383. It was finally withdrawn from service in January 1927.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

LMS 16383

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - DLG Hunter Collection

The first locomotives to be built at the Highland Railway's Lochgorm works in Inverness were three 0-6-0 saddletanks. It was the only new design of locomotive brought in during William Stroudley's spell as the company's locomotive superintendent. Only three engines were built. They are considered to be the forerunner of the London Brighton & South Coast Railway's A1, or 'Terrier', class of tank engine.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows LMS 16383. It was the last of the Lochgorm class to be built, in October 1874. Originally named 'St Martins' (the second HR loco to bear that name), it was rebuilt in June 1896 and renamed 'Fort George' in 1899. Two years later it was renumbered 49. It was renumbered again in July 1912, as 49A, and after the grouping became LMS 16383. It was finally withdrawn from service in January 1927.