Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 2 'Aldourie'
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_001_006
PLACENAME
unidentified
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
24522
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
HR 2 'Aldourie'

A photograph of HR No.2 'Aldourie', prior to its reconstruction in 1871.

This locomotive was built for the Inverness & Nairn Railway by Hawthorns of Leith in October 1855 and had a 2-2-2 wheel arrangement. It was transferred to the newly-formed Highland Railway in 1865. The HR withdrew it in February 1871 and used some of its components in the construction of a new engine with the same name and number. The rebuilt locomotive had a 2-4-0 wheel arrangement and worked until 1903.

It was named 'Aldourie' after Aldourie Castle and Estate, which belonged to Charles Edward Fraser-Tytler (1817 - 1891), one of the directors of the Inverness & Nairn.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 2 'Aldourie'

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 1 (pre-1870 classes)

A photograph of HR No.2 'Aldourie', prior to its reconstruction in 1871.<br /> <br /> This locomotive was built for the Inverness & Nairn Railway by Hawthorns of Leith in October 1855 and had a 2-2-2 wheel arrangement. It was transferred to the newly-formed Highland Railway in 1865. The HR withdrew it in February 1871 and used some of its components in the construction of a new engine with the same name and number. The rebuilt locomotive had a 2-4-0 wheel arrangement and worked until 1903. <br /> <br /> It was named 'Aldourie' after Aldourie Castle and Estate, which belonged to Charles Edward Fraser-Tytler (1817 - 1891), one of the directors of the Inverness & Nairn.