Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 5 'Seafield' and HR 22 'Aviemore'
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_001_018
PLACENAME
unidentified
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
24531
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
HR 5 'Seafield' and HR 22 'Aviemore'

A photograph of HR 5 'Seafield' and HR 22 'Aviemore', without their tenders.

The locomotive nearest the camera, HR 5 'Seafield', was built for the Inverness & Aberdeen Junction Railway by Hawthorns of Leith in February 1858. Designed by Alexander Allan, Locomotive Superintendent of the Scottish Central Railway, it had a 2-4-0 wheel arrangement and was built specifically for goods traffic. It was the first of seven engines known collectively as the 'Seafield' class. It was transferred to the newly-formed Highland Railway in 1865. The HR had its rebuilt in 1880 with larger cylinders and a new name, 'Tain'. It continued working until May 1897.

HR 22, 'Aviemore' was built in September 1863 by Sharp Stewart of Manchester. Also designed by Allan, and with a 2-4-0 wheel configuration, it was built as a response to the need for locomotives capable of pulling goods trains on the new through route to the south. It was one of ten engines which comprised the '18' class. The Highland Railway had HR 22 rebuilt with larger cylinders in March 1873 and again in August 1878 before withdrawing it in 1896.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 5 'Seafield' and HR 22 'Aviemore'

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 1 (pre-1870 classes)

A photograph of HR 5 'Seafield' and HR 22 'Aviemore', without their tenders.<br /> <br /> The locomotive nearest the camera, HR 5 'Seafield', was built for the Inverness & Aberdeen Junction Railway by Hawthorns of Leith in February 1858. Designed by Alexander Allan, Locomotive Superintendent of the Scottish Central Railway, it had a 2-4-0 wheel arrangement and was built specifically for goods traffic. It was the first of seven engines known collectively as the 'Seafield' class. It was transferred to the newly-formed Highland Railway in 1865. The HR had its rebuilt in 1880 with larger cylinders and a new name, 'Tain'. It continued working until May 1897. <br /> <br /> HR 22, 'Aviemore' was built in September 1863 by Sharp Stewart of Manchester. Also designed by Allan, and with a 2-4-0 wheel configuration, it was built as a response to the need for locomotives capable of pulling goods trains on the new through route to the south. It was one of ten engines which comprised the '18' class. The Highland Railway had HR 22 rebuilt with larger cylinders in March 1873 and again in August 1878 before withdrawing it in 1896.