Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 12, 'Belladrum', on the turntable at Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_001_029
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1870s; 1880s; 1890s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
24539
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
HR 12, 'Belladrum', on the turntable at Inverness

A photograph of HR No. 12 'Belladrum' on the timber-topped turntable at Inverness Roundhouse. Several locomotives can be seen in the stalls to the right of the picture.

This locomotive was built for the Inverness & Ross-shire Railway by Hawthorns of Leith in May 1862 and had a 2-2-2 wheel arrangement. It was transferred to the newly-formed Highland Railway in 1865. The HR had it rebuilt in September 1871 as a 2-2-2 tank engine with the name 'Breadalbane'. A further refit in 1885 saw it renamed 'Strathpeffer' prior to working the Strathpeffer branch line. It continued in use until September 1898.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 12, 'Belladrum', on the turntable at Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1870s; 1880s; 1890s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 1 (pre-1870 classes)

A photograph of HR No. 12 'Belladrum' on the timber-topped turntable at Inverness Roundhouse. Several locomotives can be seen in the stalls to the right of the picture.<br /> <br /> This locomotive was built for the Inverness & Ross-shire Railway by Hawthorns of Leith in May 1862 and had a 2-2-2 wheel arrangement. It was transferred to the newly-formed Highland Railway in 1865. The HR had it rebuilt in September 1871 as a 2-2-2 tank engine with the name 'Breadalbane'. A further refit in 1885 saw it renamed 'Strathpeffer' prior to working the Strathpeffer branch line. It continued in use until September 1898.