Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 1A 'Needlefield'
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_001_037
PLACENAME
unidentified
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
24545
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
HR 1A 'Needlefield'

A photograph of HR 1A 'Needlefield'.

This locomotive was built for the Inverness & Aberdeen Junction Railway by Hawthorns of Leith in May 1863 and had an 0-4-0 wheel arrangement. It was originally given the name 'Hopeman' and the number 17. It passed to the newly-formed Highland Railway in 1865. The HR had it rebuilt in 1867 as an 0-4-2 tank engine and changed its number to 17A in December 1879. It was renamed 'Needlefield' in 1880 due to having spent a considerable period of time shunting in the Needlefield carriage works at Inverness.

In 1886 it was converted for use as a stationary engine for driving the company's saw mill at the Lochgorm works where it remained for 12 years. It was rebuilt again in 1898 to allow it to return to shunting duties at the carriage works. It was renumbered 1A at this time. It was withdrawn and sold in 1902.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 1A 'Needlefield'

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 1 (pre-1870 classes)

A photograph of HR 1A 'Needlefield'.<br /> <br /> This locomotive was built for the Inverness & Aberdeen Junction Railway by Hawthorns of Leith in May 1863 and had an 0-4-0 wheel arrangement. It was originally given the name 'Hopeman' and the number 17. It passed to the newly-formed Highland Railway in 1865. The HR had it rebuilt in 1867 as an 0-4-2 tank engine and changed its number to 17A in December 1879. It was renamed 'Needlefield' in 1880 due to having spent a considerable period of time shunting in the Needlefield carriage works at Inverness.<br /> <br /> In 1886 it was converted for use as a stationary engine for driving the company's saw mill at the Lochgorm works where it remained for 12 years. It was rebuilt again in 1898 to allow it to return to shunting duties at the carriage works. It was renumbered 1A at this time. It was withdrawn and sold in 1902.