Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
LMS 16119 outside Inverness Roundhouse
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_001_106
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1920s; 1930s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
24598
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
LMS 16119 outside Inverness Roundhouse

The first locomotives to be built at the Highland Railway's Lochgorm works in Inverness were three 0-6-0 saddletanks. It was the only new design of locomotive brought in during William Stroudley's spell as the company's locomotive superintendent. Only three engines were built. They are considered to be the forerunner of the London Brighton & South Coast Railway's A1, or 'Terrier', class of tank engine.

This photograph shows LMS 16119 outside the roundhouse at Inverness. It was the second of the Lochgorm class to be built, in November 1872. It was rebuilt in August 1897 and went on to become the longest serving member of the class, finally being withdrawn by the LMS in December 1932.

It was renumbered 57A in July 1921 and 57B in May 1922.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

LMS 16119 outside Inverness Roundhouse

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1920s; 1930s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 1 (pre-1870 classes)

The first locomotives to be built at the Highland Railway's Lochgorm works in Inverness were three 0-6-0 saddletanks. It was the only new design of locomotive brought in during William Stroudley's spell as the company's locomotive superintendent. Only three engines were built. They are considered to be the forerunner of the London Brighton & South Coast Railway's A1, or 'Terrier', class of tank engine.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows LMS 16119 outside the roundhouse at Inverness. It was the second of the Lochgorm class to be built, in November 1872. It was rebuilt in August 1897 and went on to become the longest serving member of the class, finally being withdrawn by the LMS in December 1932.<br /> <br /> It was renumbered 57A in July 1921 and 57B in May 1922.