Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
LMS 16118 outside Inverness Roundhouse
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_001_110
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1920s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
24602
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
LMS 16118 outside Inverness Roundhouse

The first locomotives to be built at the Highland Railway's Lochgorm works in Inverness were three 0-6-0 saddletanks. It was the only new design of locomotive brought in during William Stroudley's spell as the company's locomotive superintendent. Only three engines were built. They are considered to be the forerunner of the London Brighton & South Coast Railway's A1, or 'Terrier', class of tank engine.

This photograph shows LMS 16118 outside the roundhouse at Inverness. It was the first of the Lochgorm class to be built, in April 1869. Originally named 'Balnain', it was rebuilt in February 1896 and renamed 'Dornoch' in 1902 when it became the locomotive to work on the Dornoch Light Railway.

In the last years of its life it underwent several changes of number: to 56A in July 1919, back to 56 in September 1919, to 56A again in July 1921 and 56B in May 1922.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

LMS 16118 outside Inverness Roundhouse

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1920s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 1 (pre-1870 classes)

The first locomotives to be built at the Highland Railway's Lochgorm works in Inverness were three 0-6-0 saddletanks. It was the only new design of locomotive brought in during William Stroudley's spell as the company's locomotive superintendent. Only three engines were built. They are considered to be the forerunner of the London Brighton & South Coast Railway's A1, or 'Terrier', class of tank engine.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows LMS 16118 outside the roundhouse at Inverness. It was the first of the Lochgorm class to be built, in April 1869. Originally named 'Balnain', it was rebuilt in February 1896 and renamed 'Dornoch' in 1902 when it became the locomotive to work on the Dornoch Light Railway.<br /> <br /> In the last years of its life it underwent several changes of number: to 56A in July 1919, back to 56 in September 1919, to 56A again in July 1921 and 56B in May 1922.