Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 16 'Fort George'
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_001_118
PLACENAME
unidentified
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
24609
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
HR 16 'Fort George'

The first locomotives to be built at the Highland Railway's Lochgorm works in Inverness were three 0-6-0 saddletanks. It was the only new design of locomotive brought in during William Stroudley's spell as the company's locomotive superintendent. Only three engines were built (in 1869, 1872 and 1874). They are considered to be the forerunner of the London Brighton & South Coast Railway's A1, or 'Terrier', class of tank engine. All three locomotives survived into LMS days.

This photograph shows HR 16 'Fort George' in the platform of one of the stations on the Fort George branch line. It was the last of the Lochgorm class to be built, in October 1874. Originally named 'St Martins' (the second HR loco to bear that name), it was rebuilt in June 1896 and renamed 'Fort George' in 1899. Two years later it was renumbered 49. It was renumbered again in July 1912 as 49A and after the grouping became LMS 16383. It was finally withdrawn from service in January 1927.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 16 'Fort George'

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 1 (pre-1870 classes)

The first locomotives to be built at the Highland Railway's Lochgorm works in Inverness were three 0-6-0 saddletanks. It was the only new design of locomotive brought in during William Stroudley's spell as the company's locomotive superintendent. Only three engines were built (in 1869, 1872 and 1874). They are considered to be the forerunner of the London Brighton & South Coast Railway's A1, or 'Terrier', class of tank engine. All three locomotives survived into LMS days.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows HR 16 'Fort George' in the platform of one of the stations on the Fort George branch line. It was the last of the Lochgorm class to be built, in October 1874. Originally named 'St Martins' (the second HR loco to bear that name), it was rebuilt in June 1896 and renamed 'Fort George' in 1899. Two years later it was renumbered 49. It was renumbered again in July 1912 as 49A and after the grouping became LMS 16383. It was finally withdrawn from service in January 1927.