Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 61 'Duke'
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_001_132
PLACENAME
unidentified
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
24621
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
HR 61 'Duke'

William Stroudley was replaced as locomotive superintendent on the Highland Railway in 1870 by his chief assistant, David Jones. The first locomotives to be built to one of Jones' designs were the 4-4-0 'Duke' class which worked on express passenger trains. Ten were built by Dübs of Glasgow in 1874 (numbers 60 to 69) and a further seven were produced in Inverness between 1876 and 1888 (numbers 4, 71 to 75, and 84). These later engines are often referred to as 'Lochgorm Bogies'.

This photograph shows HR 61 'Duke'. This photograph shows HR 61 'Duke'. Completed in June 1874, it had originally been called 'Sutherlandshire' but had its name changed in January 1877. It was rebuilt twice, in 1889 and 1898, and was eventually withdrawn from service and sold in 1907.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 61 'Duke'

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 1 (pre-1870 classes)

William Stroudley was replaced as locomotive superintendent on the Highland Railway in 1870 by his chief assistant, David Jones. The first locomotives to be built to one of Jones' designs were the 4-4-0 'Duke' class which worked on express passenger trains. Ten were built by Dübs of Glasgow in 1874 (numbers 60 to 69) and a further seven were produced in Inverness between 1876 and 1888 (numbers 4, 71 to 75, and 84). These later engines are often referred to as 'Lochgorm Bogies'.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows HR 61 'Duke'. This photograph shows HR 61 'Duke'. Completed in June 1874, it had originally been called 'Sutherlandshire' but had its name changed in January 1877. It was rebuilt twice, in 1889 and 1898, and was eventually withdrawn from service and sold in 1907.