Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 70A on the scrap line at Culloden, 1923
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_001_145
PLACENAME
Culloden
DISTRICT
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
28 August 1923
PERIOD
1920s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
24630
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
HR 70A on the scrap line at Culloden, 1923

William Stroudley was replaced as locomotive superintendent on the Highland Railway in 1870 by his chief assistant, David Jones. The first locomotives to be built to one of Jones' designs were the 4-4-0 'Duke' class which worked on express passenger trains. Ten were built by Dübs of Glasgow in 1874 (numbers 60 to 69) and a further seven were produced in Inverness between 1876 and 1888 (numbers 4, 71 to 75, and 84). These later engines are often referred to as 'Lochgorm Bogies'.

This photograph shows HR 70A 'The Duke' on the scrap line at Culloden. Completed in August 1874, it originally bore the number 67. It was renamed 'Cromartie' in January 1877 and rebuilt twice, in February 1888 and September 1898. It was renumbered 70A in February 1923, shortly before being withdrawn from service later that year.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 70A on the scrap line at Culloden, 1923

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1920s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 1 (pre-1870 classes)

William Stroudley was replaced as locomotive superintendent on the Highland Railway in 1870 by his chief assistant, David Jones. The first locomotives to be built to one of Jones' designs were the 4-4-0 'Duke' class which worked on express passenger trains. Ten were built by Dübs of Glasgow in 1874 (numbers 60 to 69) and a further seven were produced in Inverness between 1876 and 1888 (numbers 4, 71 to 75, and 84). These later engines are often referred to as 'Lochgorm Bogies'.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows HR 70A 'The Duke' on the scrap line at Culloden. Completed in August 1874, it originally bore the number 67. It was renamed 'Cromartie' in January 1877 and rebuilt twice, in February 1888 and September 1898. It was renumbered 70A in February 1923, shortly before being withdrawn from service later that year.