Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 73 'Rosehaugh' inside a shed
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_001_161
PLACENAME
unidentified
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
24640
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
HR 73 'Rosehaugh' inside a shed

William Stroudley was replaced as locomotive superintendent on the Highland Railway in 1870 by his chief assistant, David Jones. The first locomotives to be built to one of Jones' designs were the 4-4-0 'Duke' class which worked on express passenger trains. Ten were built by Dübs of Glasgow in 1874 (numbers 60 to 69) and a further seven were produced in Inverness between 1876 and 1888 (numbers 4, 71 to 75, and 84). These later engines are often referred to as 'Lochgorm Bogies'.

This photograph shows HR 73 'Rosehaugh'. Completed in January 1885, it had originally been named 'Thurlow'. It was renamed 'Rosehuagh' in 1898 and renumbered 73A in December 1916. It was eventually withdrawn from service in 1923.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 73 'Rosehaugh' inside a shed

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 1 (pre-1870 classes)

William Stroudley was replaced as locomotive superintendent on the Highland Railway in 1870 by his chief assistant, David Jones. The first locomotives to be built to one of Jones' designs were the 4-4-0 'Duke' class which worked on express passenger trains. Ten were built by Dübs of Glasgow in 1874 (numbers 60 to 69) and a further seven were produced in Inverness between 1876 and 1888 (numbers 4, 71 to 75, and 84). These later engines are often referred to as 'Lochgorm Bogies'.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows HR 73 'Rosehaugh'. Completed in January 1885, it had originally been named 'Thurlow'. It was renamed 'Rosehuagh' in 1898 and renumbered 73A in December 1916. It was eventually withdrawn from service in 1923.