Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 67 'Cromartie' at Perth
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_001_165
PLACENAME
Perth
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
PERTH
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
24642
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
HR 67 'Cromartie' at Perth

William Stroudley was replaced as locomotive superintendent on the Highland Railway in 1870 by his chief assistant, David Jones. The first locomotives to be built to one of Jones' designs were the 4-4-0 'Duke' class which worked on express passenger trains. Ten were built by Dübs of Glasgow in 1874 (numbers 60 to 69) and a further seven were produced in Inverness between 1876 and 1888 (numbers 4, 71 to 75, and 84). These later engines are often referred to as 'Lochgorm Bogies'.

This photograph shows HR 67 'Cromartie' at Perth. Completed in August 1874, it had originally been called 'The Duke' but had its name changed in January 1877. It was rebuilt twice, in February 1888 and September 1898, and renumbered 70A in February 1923, shortly before being withdrawn from service later that year.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 67 'Cromartie' at Perth

PERTH

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 1 (pre-1870 classes)

William Stroudley was replaced as locomotive superintendent on the Highland Railway in 1870 by his chief assistant, David Jones. The first locomotives to be built to one of Jones' designs were the 4-4-0 'Duke' class which worked on express passenger trains. Ten were built by Dübs of Glasgow in 1874 (numbers 60 to 69) and a further seven were produced in Inverness between 1876 and 1888 (numbers 4, 71 to 75, and 84). These later engines are often referred to as 'Lochgorm Bogies'.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows HR 67 'Cromartie' at Perth. Completed in August 1874, it had originally been called 'The Duke' but had its name changed in January 1877. It was rebuilt twice, in February 1888 and September 1898, and renumbered 70A in February 1923, shortly before being withdrawn from service later that year.