Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 71 'Clachnacuddin' on a turntable
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_001_166
PLACENAME
unidentified
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
24643
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
HR 71 'Clachnacuddin' on a turntable

William Stroudley was replaced as locomotive superintendent on the Highland Railway in 1870 by his chief assistant, David Jones. The first locomotives to be built to one of Jones' designs were the 4-4-0 'Duke' class which worked on express passenger trains. Ten were built by Dübs of Glasgow in 1874 (numbers 60 to 69) and a further seven were produced in Inverness between 1876 and 1888 (numbers 4, 71 to 75, and 84). These later engines are often referred to as 'Lochgorm Bogies'.

This photograph shows HR 71 'Clachnacuddin'. Completed in December 1883, it was the second HR loco to bear that name. It was renumbered 71A in July 1912 before being withdrawn from service and sold in 1915.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 71 'Clachnacuddin' on a turntable

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 1 (pre-1870 classes)

William Stroudley was replaced as locomotive superintendent on the Highland Railway in 1870 by his chief assistant, David Jones. The first locomotives to be built to one of Jones' designs were the 4-4-0 'Duke' class which worked on express passenger trains. Ten were built by Dübs of Glasgow in 1874 (numbers 60 to 69) and a further seven were produced in Inverness between 1876 and 1888 (numbers 4, 71 to 75, and 84). These later engines are often referred to as 'Lochgorm Bogies'.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows HR 71 'Clachnacuddin'. Completed in December 1883, it was the second HR loco to bear that name. It was renumbered 71A in July 1912 before being withdrawn from service and sold in 1915.