Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 50 at Perth
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_001_206
PLACENAME
Perth
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
PERTH
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
24678
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
HR 50 at Perth

In 1878 and 1879 the Highland Railway built three 2-4-0 tank engines at their Lochgorm works in Inverness. Originally numbered 17, 58 and 59, they were primarily given shunting duties. All three passed in LMS ownership.

This photograph shows HR 50 at Perth. Completed in December 1879, it was originally named 'Breadalbane', the second HR loco to bear that name, and carried the number 17. It was rebuilt as a 4-4-0 tank engine in July 1887. It was renamed 'Aberfeldy' in 1886 (a name it carried until 1906) and was renumbered three times: 50 in November 1900, 50A in December 1912 and 50B in August 1922. On passing to the LMS it was repainted in that company's crimson livery and numbered 15012. It was withdrawn from service in November 1929.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 50 at Perth

PERTH

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 2 (Jones classes)

In 1878 and 1879 the Highland Railway built three 2-4-0 tank engines at their Lochgorm works in Inverness. Originally numbered 17, 58 and 59, they were primarily given shunting duties. All three passed in LMS ownership.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows HR 50 at Perth. Completed in December 1879, it was originally named 'Breadalbane', the second HR loco to bear that name, and carried the number 17. It was rebuilt as a 4-4-0 tank engine in July 1887. It was renamed 'Aberfeldy' in 1886 (a name it carried until 1906) and was renumbered three times: 50 in November 1900, 50A in December 1912 and 50B in August 1922. On passing to the LMS it was repainted in that company's crimson livery and numbered 15012. It was withdrawn from service in November 1929.