Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 48 at Kyle, April 1926
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_001_236
PLACENAME
Kyle of Lochalsh
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
DATE OF IMAGE
17 April 1926
PERIOD
1920s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
24708
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
HR 48 at Kyle, April 1926

The 'Skye Bogie' class of locomotive were designed for the Highland Railway by its chief locomotive superintendent David Jones. They were built primarily to work on the Dingwall and Skye line. Nine were built at the company's Lochgorm Works in Inverness between 1882 and 1901. The last four were overseen by Jones' replacement, Peter Drummond, who made some alterations to the original design. None of the Skye Bogies were given names and all transferred to the LMS in 1923.

This photograph shows HR 48 at Kyle in April 1926. Completed in December 1901, it was one of the engines built with Peter Drummond's modifications. After the grouping it became LMS 14285 and was withdrawn from service in October 1928.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 48 at Kyle, April 1926

ROSS: Lochalsh

1920s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 2 (Jones classes)

The 'Skye Bogie' class of locomotive were designed for the Highland Railway by its chief locomotive superintendent David Jones. They were built primarily to work on the Dingwall and Skye line. Nine were built at the company's Lochgorm Works in Inverness between 1882 and 1901. The last four were overseen by Jones' replacement, Peter Drummond, who made some alterations to the original design. None of the Skye Bogies were given names and all transferred to the LMS in 1923.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows HR 48 at Kyle in April 1926. Completed in December 1901, it was one of the engines built with Peter Drummond's modifications. After the grouping it became LMS 14285 and was withdrawn from service in October 1928.