Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 86 at Dingwall, August 1923
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_001_249
PLACENAME
Dingwall
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Dingwall
DATE OF IMAGE
31 August 1923
PERIOD
1920s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
24720
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
HR 86 at Dingwall, August 1923

The 'Skye Bogie' class of locomotive were designed for the Highland Railway by its chief locomotive superintendent David Jones. They were built primarily to work on the Dingwall and Skye line. Nine were built at the company's Lochgorm Works in Inverness between 1882 and 1901. The last four were overseen by Jones' replacement, Peter Drummond, who made some alterations to the original design. None of the Skye Bogies were given names and all transferred to the LMS in 1923.

This photograph shows HR 86 at Dingwall in August 1923. It was completed in February 1893 and renumbered twice: to 86A in April 1918 and back to 86 in September 1919. After the grouping it became LMS 14279 and continued in service until being withdrawn in October 1927.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 86 at Dingwall, August 1923

ROSS: Dingwall

1920s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 2 (Jones classes)

The 'Skye Bogie' class of locomotive were designed for the Highland Railway by its chief locomotive superintendent David Jones. They were built primarily to work on the Dingwall and Skye line. Nine were built at the company's Lochgorm Works in Inverness between 1882 and 1901. The last four were overseen by Jones' replacement, Peter Drummond, who made some alterations to the original design. None of the Skye Bogies were given names and all transferred to the LMS in 1923.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows HR 86 at Dingwall in August 1923. It was completed in February 1893 and renumbered twice: to 86A in April 1918 and back to 86 in September 1919. After the grouping it became LMS 14279 and continued in service until being withdrawn in October 1927.