Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 34 at Kyle, August 1906
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_001_250
PLACENAME
Kyle of Lochalsh
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
DATE OF IMAGE
August 1906
PERIOD
1900s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
24721
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
HR 34 at Kyle, August 1906

The 'Skye Bogie' class of locomotive were designed for the Highland Railway by its chief locomotive superintendent David Jones. They were built primarily to work on the Dingwall and Skye line. Nine were built at the company's Lochgorm Works in Inverness between 1882 and 1901. The last four were overseen by Jones' replacement, Peter Drummond, who made some alterations to the original design. None of the Skye Bogies were given names and all transferred to the LMS in 1923.

This photograph shows HR 34 at Kyle in August 1906. Completed in July 1898 and originally numbered 7, it was one of the engines built with Peter Drummond's modifications. It was renumbered 34 in 1899 and after the grouping became LMS 14284. It was withdrawn from service in April 1930.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 34 at Kyle, August 1906

ROSS: Lochalsh

1900s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 2 (Jones classes)

The 'Skye Bogie' class of locomotive were designed for the Highland Railway by its chief locomotive superintendent David Jones. They were built primarily to work on the Dingwall and Skye line. Nine were built at the company's Lochgorm Works in Inverness between 1882 and 1901. The last four were overseen by Jones' replacement, Peter Drummond, who made some alterations to the original design. None of the Skye Bogies were given names and all transferred to the LMS in 1923.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows HR 34 at Kyle in August 1906. Completed in July 1898 and originally numbered 7, it was one of the engines built with Peter Drummond's modifications. It was renumbered 34 in 1899 and after the grouping became LMS 14284. It was withdrawn from service in April 1930.