Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
LMS 14277 on the turntable at Fortrose
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_001_252
PLACENAME
Fortrose
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Rosemarkie
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
24724
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
LMS 14277 on the turntable at Fortrose

The 'Skye Bogie' class of locomotive were designed for the Highland Railway by its chief locomotive superintendent David Jones. They were built primarily to work on the Dingwall and Skye line. Nine were built at the company's Lochgorm Works in Inverness between 1882 and 1901. The last four were overseen by Jones' replacement, Peter Drummond, who made some alterations to the original design. None of the Skye Bogies were given names and all transferred to the LMS in 1923.

This photograph shows LMS 14277 on the turntable at Fortrose. It was the first of the class to be built, in May 1882, and originally carried the number HR 70. It was renumbered twice, to 70A in December 1912 and 67 in February 1923. After the grouping it became LMS 14277 and continued in service until being withdrawn in December 1929.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

LMS 14277 on the turntable at Fortrose

ROSS: Rosemarkie

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 2 (Jones classes)

The 'Skye Bogie' class of locomotive were designed for the Highland Railway by its chief locomotive superintendent David Jones. They were built primarily to work on the Dingwall and Skye line. Nine were built at the company's Lochgorm Works in Inverness between 1882 and 1901. The last four were overseen by Jones' replacement, Peter Drummond, who made some alterations to the original design. None of the Skye Bogies were given names and all transferred to the LMS in 1923.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows LMS 14277 on the turntable at Fortrose. It was the first of the class to be built, in May 1882, and originally carried the number HR 70. It was renumbered twice, to 70A in December 1912 and 67 in February 1923. After the grouping it became LMS 14277 and continued in service until being withdrawn in December 1929.