Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 33 in plain dark green livery
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_001_256
PLACENAME
unidentified
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
24728
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
HR 33 in plain dark green livery

The 'Skye Bogie' class of locomotive were designed for the Highland Railway by its chief locomotive superintendent David Jones. They were built primarily to work on the Dingwall and Skye line. Nine were built at the company's Lochgorm Works in Inverness between 1882 and 1901. The last four were overseen by Jones' replacement, Peter Drummond, who made some alterations to the original design. None of the Skye Bogies were given names and all transferred to the LMS in 1923.

This photograph shows HR 33 in plain dark green livery. Completed in November 1897 and originally numbered 6, it was one of the engines built with Peter Drummond's modifications. It was renumbered 33 in February 1899 and after the grouping became LMS 14283. It was withdrawn from service in August 1929.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 33 in plain dark green livery

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 2 (Jones classes)

The 'Skye Bogie' class of locomotive were designed for the Highland Railway by its chief locomotive superintendent David Jones. They were built primarily to work on the Dingwall and Skye line. Nine were built at the company's Lochgorm Works in Inverness between 1882 and 1901. The last four were overseen by Jones' replacement, Peter Drummond, who made some alterations to the original design. None of the Skye Bogies were given names and all transferred to the LMS in 1923.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows HR 33 in plain dark green livery. Completed in November 1897 and originally numbered 6, it was one of the engines built with Peter Drummond's modifications. It was renumbered 33 in February 1899 and after the grouping became LMS 14283. It was withdrawn from service in August 1929.