Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 85A on the scrap line at Aviemore
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_001_279
PLACENAME
Aviemore
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
24746
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
HR 85A on the scrap line at Aviemore

The 'Skye Bogie' class of locomotive were designed for the Highland Railway by its chief locomotive superintendent David Jones. They were built primarily to work on the Dingwall and Skye line. Nine were built at the company's Lochgorm Works in Inverness between 1882 and 1901. The last four were overseen by Jones' replacement, Peter Drummond, who made some alterations to the original design. None of the Skye Bogies were given names and all transferred to the LMS in 1923.

This photograph shows HR 85A on the scrap line at Aviemore. It was the first three more Skye Bogies ordered after the extension of the line from Stromeferry to Kyle had been announced. It was completed in August 1892 and originally carried the number 85. It was renumbered three times before the grouping: to 85A in April 1918, back to 85 in September 1919 and then 85A again two months later. Despite passing to the LMS it was the only one of the class not to receive a number from the new company and was withdrawn in August 1923.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 85A on the scrap line at Aviemore

INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 2 (Jones classes)

The 'Skye Bogie' class of locomotive were designed for the Highland Railway by its chief locomotive superintendent David Jones. They were built primarily to work on the Dingwall and Skye line. Nine were built at the company's Lochgorm Works in Inverness between 1882 and 1901. The last four were overseen by Jones' replacement, Peter Drummond, who made some alterations to the original design. None of the Skye Bogies were given names and all transferred to the LMS in 1923.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows HR 85A on the scrap line at Aviemore. It was the first three more Skye Bogies ordered after the extension of the line from Stromeferry to Kyle had been announced. It was completed in August 1892 and originally carried the number 85. It was renumbered three times before the grouping: to 85A in April 1918, back to 85 in September 1919 and then 85A again two months later. Despite passing to the LMS it was the only one of the class not to receive a number from the new company and was withdrawn in August 1923.