Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
LMS 14284 at Dingwall shed, May 1928
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_001_284
PLACENAME
Dingwall
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Dingwall
DATE OF IMAGE
May 1928
PERIOD
1920s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
24751
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
LMS 14284 at Dingwall shed, May 1928

The 'Skye Bogie' class of locomotive were designed for the Highland Railway by its chief locomotive superintendent David Jones. They were built primarily to work on the Dingwall and Skye line. Nine were built at the company's Lochgorm Works in Inverness between 1882 and 1901. The last four were overseen by Jones' replacement, Peter Drummond, who made some alterations to the original design. None of the Skye Bogies were given names and all transferred to the LMS in 1923.

This photograph shows LMS 14284 at Dingwall shed in May 1928. Completed in July 1898 and originally numbered HR 7, it was one of the engines built with Peter Drummond's modifications. It was renumbered 34 in 1899 and after the grouping became LMS 14284. It was withdrawn from service in April 1930.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

LMS 14284 at Dingwall shed, May 1928

ROSS: Dingwall

1920s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 2 (Jones classes)

The 'Skye Bogie' class of locomotive were designed for the Highland Railway by its chief locomotive superintendent David Jones. They were built primarily to work on the Dingwall and Skye line. Nine were built at the company's Lochgorm Works in Inverness between 1882 and 1901. The last four were overseen by Jones' replacement, Peter Drummond, who made some alterations to the original design. None of the Skye Bogies were given names and all transferred to the LMS in 1923.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows LMS 14284 at Dingwall shed in May 1928. Completed in July 1898 and originally numbered HR 7, it was one of the engines built with Peter Drummond's modifications. It was renumbered 34 in 1899 and after the grouping became LMS 14284. It was withdrawn from service in April 1930.