Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 76 'Bruce' at Inverness, August 1923
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_001_304
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
27 August 1923
PERIOD
1920s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
24771
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
HR 76 'Bruce' at Inverness, August 1923

In 1886 the Highland Railway received eight 4-4-0 tender engines they had ordered from the Clyde Locomotive Co Ltd. The class were known as 'Clyde Bogies' and they were intended for use on mainline services.

This photograph shows HR 76 'Bruce' at Inverness in August 1923. It was the fifth Highland Railway locomotive to bear that name. It was completed in April 1886 and was shown at the Edinburgh Exhibition of 1886 before commencing its normal duties in December of that year. It was renumbered 76A in March 1917 and continued in service until being withdrawn in 1923.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 76 'Bruce' at Inverness, August 1923

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1920s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 2 (Jones classes)

In 1886 the Highland Railway received eight 4-4-0 tender engines they had ordered from the Clyde Locomotive Co Ltd. The class were known as 'Clyde Bogies' and they were intended for use on mainline services.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows HR 76 'Bruce' at Inverness in August 1923. It was the fifth Highland Railway locomotive to bear that name. It was completed in April 1886 and was shown at the Edinburgh Exhibition of 1886 before commencing its normal duties in December of that year. It was renumbered 76A in March 1917 and continued in service until being withdrawn in 1923.