Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 13 / HR 53 'Lybster' at Lybster shed
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_001_318
PLACENAME
Lybster
DISTRICT
Caithness - Southern
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS: Latheron
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
24785
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
HR 13 / HR 53 'Lybster' at Lybster shed

In 1890, to replace the ageing Belladrum class 2-2-2 tank engine 'Strathpeffer' (HR 12), the Highland Railway built a new saddle tank engine at their Lochgorm works in Inverness. It also had a 2-2-2 wheel configuration and was also named 'Strathpeffer'. It was originally numbered 13 but was renumbered 53 in September 1899. It was rebuilt with a new boiler and side tanks in 1901 and renamed 'Lybster' in May 1903 when it was transferred to work on the newly completed Wick to Lybster Railway. It was renumbered again in 1919, this time to 53A, passed into LMS ownership as 15050. It was withdrawn from service in December 1929.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 13 / HR 53 'Lybster' at Lybster shed

CAITHNESS: Latheron

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 2 (Jones classes)

In 1890, to replace the ageing Belladrum class 2-2-2 tank engine 'Strathpeffer' (HR 12), the Highland Railway built a new saddle tank engine at their Lochgorm works in Inverness. It also had a 2-2-2 wheel configuration and was also named 'Strathpeffer'. It was originally numbered 13 but was renumbered 53 in September 1899. It was rebuilt with a new boiler and side tanks in 1901 and renamed 'Lybster' in May 1903 when it was transferred to work on the newly completed Wick to Lybster Railway. It was renumbered again in 1919, this time to 53A, passed into LMS ownership as 15050. It was withdrawn from service in December 1929.