Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 98 'Glentruim'
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_001_341
PLACENAME
unidentified
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
24809
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
HR 98 'Glentruim'

The 'Strath' class of 4-4-0 passenger locomotives were built for the Highland Railway by Neilson Reid & Co. of Glasgow in 1892. They were built to the design of David Jones, the company's locomotive superintendent, and were similar in design to his other locomotives, with the exception of having larger boilers. The twelve locomotives were numbered 89 to 100 and six of them passed into LMS ownership in 1923.

This photograph shows HR 98 'Glentruim'. It was renumbered by the Highland Railway twice: to 98A in July 1919 and back to 98 in September of that year. It was one of the class to pass into LMS ownership and was numbered 14275 by the new company. It was withdrawn from service in November 1930.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 98 'Glentruim'

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 2 (Jones classes)

The 'Strath' class of 4-4-0 passenger locomotives were built for the Highland Railway by Neilson Reid & Co. of Glasgow in 1892. They were built to the design of David Jones, the company's locomotive superintendent, and were similar in design to his other locomotives, with the exception of having larger boilers. The twelve locomotives were numbered 89 to 100 and six of them passed into LMS ownership in 1923.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows HR 98 'Glentruim'. It was renumbered by the Highland Railway twice: to 98A in July 1919 and back to 98 in September of that year. It was one of the class to pass into LMS ownership and was numbered 14275 by the new company. It was withdrawn from service in November 1930.