Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 96 'Glentilt' at Inverness, c1902
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_001_345
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
c.1902
PERIOD
1900s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
24812
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
HR 96 'Glentilt' at Inverness, c1902

The 'Strath' class of 4-4-0 passenger locomotives were built for the Highland Railway by Neilson Reid & Co. of Glasgow in 1892. They were built to the design of David Jones, the company's locomotive superintendent, and were similar in design to his other locomotives, with the exception of having larger boilers. The twelve locomotives were numbered 89 to 100 and six of them passed into LMS ownership in 1923.

This photograph shows HR 96 'Glentilt' at Inverness. It was renumbered by the Highland Railway on three occasions: to 96A in April 1919; back to 96 in September of that year and to 96A once again in May 1922. It was withdrawn from service and sold 1923.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 96 'Glentilt' at Inverness, c1902

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1900s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 2 (Jones classes)

The 'Strath' class of 4-4-0 passenger locomotives were built for the Highland Railway by Neilson Reid & Co. of Glasgow in 1892. They were built to the design of David Jones, the company's locomotive superintendent, and were similar in design to his other locomotives, with the exception of having larger boilers. The twelve locomotives were numbered 89 to 100 and six of them passed into LMS ownership in 1923.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows HR 96 'Glentilt' at Inverness. It was renumbered by the Highland Railway on three occasions: to 96A in April 1919; back to 96 in September of that year and to 96A once again in May 1922. It was withdrawn from service and sold 1923.