Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 97 'Glenmore' at Blair Atholl, 1912
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_001_362
PLACENAME
Blair Atholl
DISTRICT
Perthshire - Highland
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
PERTH: Blair Atholl
DATE OF IMAGE
1912
PERIOD
1910s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
24829
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
HR 97 'Glenmore' at Blair Atholl, 1912

The 'Strath' class of 4-4-0 passenger locomotives were built for the Highland Railway by Neilson Reid & Co. of Glasgow in 1892. They were built to the design of David Jones, the company's locomotive superintendent, and were similar in design to his other locomotives, with the exception of having larger boilers. The twelve locomotives were numbered 89 to 100 and six of them passed into LMS ownership in 1923.

This photograph shows HR 97 'Glenmore' at Blair Atholl. It was renumbered by the Highland Railway on three occasions: to 97A in April 1919; back to 97 in September of that year and to 97A once again in May 1922. It was withdrawn from service and sold 1923.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 97 'Glenmore' at Blair Atholl, 1912

PERTH: Blair Atholl

1910s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 2 (Jones classes)

The 'Strath' class of 4-4-0 passenger locomotives were built for the Highland Railway by Neilson Reid & Co. of Glasgow in 1892. They were built to the design of David Jones, the company's locomotive superintendent, and were similar in design to his other locomotives, with the exception of having larger boilers. The twelve locomotives were numbered 89 to 100 and six of them passed into LMS ownership in 1923.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows HR 97 'Glenmore' at Blair Atholl. It was renumbered by the Highland Railway on three occasions: to 97A in April 1919; back to 97 in September of that year and to 97A once again in May 1922. It was withdrawn from service and sold 1923.