Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 95 'Strathcarron' near Thurso, October 1923
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_001_365
PLACENAME
unidentified
DATE OF IMAGE
11 October 1923
PERIOD
1920s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
24831
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
HR 95 'Strathcarron' near Thurso, October 1923

The 'Strath' class of 4-4-0 passenger locomotives were built for the Highland Railway by Neilson Reid & Co. of Glasgow in 1892. They were built to the design of David Jones, the company's locomotive superintendent, and were similar in design to his other locomotives, with the exception of having larger boilers. The twelve locomotives were numbered 89 to 100 and six of them passed into LMS ownership in 1923.

This photograph shows HR 95 'Strathcarron' near Thurso in October 1923. It was renumbered by the Highland Railway twice: to 95A in April 1919 and back to 95 in September of that year. It passed to the LMS and was numbered 14274 by the new company. It was withdrawn from service in December 1930.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 95 'Strathcarron' near Thurso, October 1923

1920s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 2 (Jones classes)

The 'Strath' class of 4-4-0 passenger locomotives were built for the Highland Railway by Neilson Reid & Co. of Glasgow in 1892. They were built to the design of David Jones, the company's locomotive superintendent, and were similar in design to his other locomotives, with the exception of having larger boilers. The twelve locomotives were numbered 89 to 100 and six of them passed into LMS ownership in 1923.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows HR 95 'Strathcarron' near Thurso in October 1923. It was renumbered by the Highland Railway twice: to 95A in April 1919 and back to 95 in September of that year. It passed to the LMS and was numbered 14274 by the new company. It was withdrawn from service in December 1930.