Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
LMS 14276 'Glenbruar'
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_001_382
PLACENAME
unidentified
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
24846
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
LMS 14276 'Glenbruar'

The 'Strath' class of 4-4-0 passenger locomotives were built for the Highland Railway by Neilson Reid & Co. of Glasgow in 1892. They were built to the design of David Jones, the company's locomotive superintendent, and were similar in design to his other locomotives, with the exception of having larger boilers. The twelve locomotives were numbered 89 to 100 and six of them passed into LMS ownership in 1923.

This photograph shows LMS 14276 'Glenbruar'. On completion for the Highland Railway it carried the number 100 but was renumbered 100A in July 1919 before reverting to 100 in September of that year. It was one of the class to pass into LMS ownership and was numbered 14276 by the new company. It was withdrawn from service in February 1930.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

LMS 14276 'Glenbruar'

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 2 (Jones classes)

The 'Strath' class of 4-4-0 passenger locomotives were built for the Highland Railway by Neilson Reid & Co. of Glasgow in 1892. They were built to the design of David Jones, the company's locomotive superintendent, and were similar in design to his other locomotives, with the exception of having larger boilers. The twelve locomotives were numbered 89 to 100 and six of them passed into LMS ownership in 1923.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows LMS 14276 'Glenbruar'. On completion for the Highland Railway it carried the number 100 but was renumbered 100A in July 1919 before reverting to 100 in September of that year. It was one of the class to pass into LMS ownership and was numbered 14276 by the new company. It was withdrawn from service in February 1930.