Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 95 'Strathcarron' at Aviemore
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_001_395
PLACENAME
Aviemore
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
24857
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
HR 95 'Strathcarron' at Aviemore

The 'Strath' class of 4-4-0 passenger locomotives were built for the Highland Railway by Neilson Reid & Co. of Glasgow in 1892. They were built to the design of David Jones, the company's locomotive superintendent, and were similar in design to his other locomotives, with the exception of having larger boilers. The twelve locomotives were numbered 89 to 100 and six of them passed into LMS ownership in 1923.

This photograph shows HR 95 'Strathcarron'. It was renumbered by the Highland Railway twice: to 95A in April 1919 and back to 95 in September of that year. It passed to the LMS and was numbered 14274 by the new company. It was withdrawn from service in December 1930.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 95 'Strathcarron' at Aviemore

INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 2 (Jones classes)

The 'Strath' class of 4-4-0 passenger locomotives were built for the Highland Railway by Neilson Reid & Co. of Glasgow in 1892. They were built to the design of David Jones, the company's locomotive superintendent, and were similar in design to his other locomotives, with the exception of having larger boilers. The twelve locomotives were numbered 89 to 100 and six of them passed into LMS ownership in 1923.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows HR 95 'Strathcarron'. It was renumbered by the Highland Railway twice: to 95A in April 1919 and back to 95 in September of that year. It passed to the LMS and was numbered 14274 by the new company. It was withdrawn from service in December 1930.